David Platt wrote a book called Radical. It was a book that was intended to shake the luke warm church to the core. It was challenging whether you look any different from the culture which is contrary to our Christian beliefs and values. If we quantified our sins and transgressions and compared them to non-believers, they were virtually the same. The inference is that Christians are not acting different then anyone else in the worlds and we are clearly not standing as a beacon of hope or a way to let people remember the Good news of Jesus Christ.
So what would it take to look radical. To serve God’s purpose for us. The commitment is for one year.
- Pray for the entire world over that year’s time. Free material are provided country by country as to the relgious make up of the country and specific trials that we can lift up and pray.
- Read the Bible in a year. We need to be saturated in god’s word.
- Put a cap on your lifestyle and take that money that you sacrificed something to get it and then purposefully give to some one in need.
- When need comes out, many people will send money, but the will not go. The work is many the worker are few. Be one of the workers. David Platt told a story of when he was in the Sudan and the Christian Refugees were getting supplies from secular f government agencies, The refugees were hapy for their help. One refuge looked David Platt in the eyes, that we knw when a brother in the Lord gives us something, because they walk alongside us, nit just send money. that is what it is to be a brother in Christ.
- To be a multiplier at church. Get Discipleship and then go disciple someone else.
These challenges are not impossible and we saw value in the exercize, but looking at our lives, we said a lot of christian ministry would have to end to make time for this. The time to pray for the world, read a lot in the Bible everyday, Give sacrificially for a purpose. Bit that means putting a cap on our lifestyle. this takes planning. If we look to serve outside of a comfortable context like feeding the poor in neighboring city or go where there are refugee camps and serve, Serve with the purpose of sharing the best news of all. That the risen Lord calls to them that they might be saved.
Then multiply your efforts. It is a big gut check to see if it can be done. I think doing the challenge as a group got a uneasy grrr. But I think some of us will modify it a bit to make it sustainable and present us from burning out on it even before it begins. Baby steps to radical so that I can hear from Jesus, :well done good and faithful servant” Meet God’s purpose and not David’s Platt’s view is what gives me some movement. Buying a bible in Chronological order tomorrow, to make my year in the bible flow better.